Thursday, November 20, 2014

Blog Post 14

change

In the article by Joel Klein, he talks about many problems that should be worked on in the school system. The first problem he talks about is the training for teachers. He basically thinks the the way teachers are trained should be better. The next problem is anyone with a college degree can become a teacher. He thinks the top 1/3 of the graduates should become a teacher. The last problem is teachers are interchangeable and decisions are based off of seniority. Teaching should also be more professionalized. This would not only benefit the teachers, but the students as well. The article then talks about how this radical change would bring a board of police to the profession, established standards and providing mechanisms for removing incompetent teachers. Teachers would also need to take an exam, just like lawyers and such, and complete an internship of 3 years.

I very much agree with all of these solutions to these problems. Becoming a teacher just seems too easy. Children rely on us to educate them and with it being so easy, anyone can do it. I do not think just anyone should become a teacher. Great teachers have a passion for the job and their students. Not everyone has passion for this profession. I think the way people look at teaching should be changed and it should be more professionalized. This could help students in the long run and help teachers become better in many ways. If it weren't for teachers, you would not have doctors or lawyers. Teachers teach them to become what they are. I'm thinking the exam is just like what we have to take and yes, I do agree with that. Once again, not just anyone should be thrown into this profession just with a college degree. I do not so much agree on the no mandatory assignments policy. I think progress should be shown throughout the year with any assignments (PBL etc).

I think this article really makes one think about teaching as a profession. People are quick to say teaching is easy & don't take it seriously. I think teaching should be taken more seriously. I could use some of these solutions as I pursue in my career. It was a very helpful article.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I agree, people do not take teachers as seriously as they should. It is a very important job that led all of us to choose our profession!

    ReplyDelete